Friday, December 7, 2012

Getting ready for Babies

It is an interesting experience to be pregnant around Christmas when we are focused on the birth of Jesus.  I can definitely appreciate what Mary might have been experiencing.  And the truth is that around this time of year Mary would have only been about as far along in her pregnancy as I am because Jesus was born around April, not December.  That's only one of the inconsistencies in our "Christmas story".  There is no record of a donkey for Mary to ride on, the "manger" was a cave, not a wooden stable and the Magi didn't show up the night of Jesus birth, but about two years later!  So what are they doing in the manger scene? :)  Also, is it possible that Mary traveled to Bethlehem or gave birth without some other women being with her.   Did she have a midwife?  Did Joseph help?  Was she scared and lonely?  There are many ways I relate to Mary during this Advent season.  I am far from "home", far from my female support group, I have a new husband and am scared heading into labor and delivery, desperately wanting strong female support and not yet sure who that will be.  I am thankful for how involved my Jakers is though and what a great support he has been even when he is confused by all my emotions.

So last night we put out Christmas decorations, both religious and secular, and tonight we will get a small tree and decorate it.  I know it is disappointing for some family that we won't be with them on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but I also think it's kind of neat that Jake and I get to try a holiday by ourselves in our first year of marriage.  This will be the only one we will ever have alone and I think we've already got a new tradition in place!  We made a Lego Christmas tree together and I can see us making something Christmas-y out of Legos each year with our kiddos.  We both enjoying piecing things together out of items that maybe had a different original purpose.  I don't think it would have been as much fun if we had had a Lego Christmas tree kit and instructions. :)   Hopefully we can also keep the gingerbread house decorating tradition alive that we got from the Morgans, which is also a kid-friendly activity :)  And now we have a Jesse tree that Sarah & LeGrande Iseley made us for our wedding.  Another family friendly activity that goes through the whole month!

A few nights ago we rearranged the guest room and our room to do some preparations for Baby Lurch.  Yes, it is definitely interesting thinking about the reality of our baby coming and seeing how that brings new meaning to the Advent season for us!

Why you don't store candles in the garage in Arizona.  Thankfully everything came apart rather easily!

No, the jester doll doesn't have much to do with Christmas in particular except that my brother gave it to me as a gift.  And it is the right colors.

Diffusing the red.  Notice the incorporated kung fu sash?  Look for another one in another picture!

Old Owl getting in the spirit :)

Thanks, Lin, for the placemats!  I was wondering how I was going to change out the table decos for Christmas.  We have the handtowels up in the bathrooms too.

Our Lego tree is now sitting on the red table with the white kung fu sash and Jake thinks it's cool that we again have a table with a kung fu sash and Legos, just like at our wedding :)

Our Lego tree

My creation


We've had this varied assortment of candlesticks on our piano since we moved in and I thought was awesome that we had just the right number for the Advent candles that Jake's mom sent us.



We have some catching up to do on our Jesse tree.  We should be on day 7 today :)

Nativity set from Aruba.  Who gave this to me?  Mom?  Need to fix some broken pieces.

Jake putting up greenery that his parents sent us from VA

Our tree

A wedding gift and Christmas ornament

Ditto
Rearranged guest room.  Trundle bed is put away.

Daddy!

Our rearranged room with the Moses basket and nightlight.

1 comment:

  1. From Lin Harmon: Wow!!! You are beautifully decorated for Christmas! Winston and I spent our first Christmas in Germany. We were alone, except that we did get invited to spend Christmas Day with Tom and Posy Lough. That year I made most of our decorations out of construction paper. Nancy did send me materials to decorate satin Christmas ball ornaments with jeweled materials/sequins/etc. I still have them! I love the changes that you've made to the 2 bedrooms. This is getting exciting! Lin

    ReplyDelete